When it comes to the value of a diamond, one of the key determining features will be the clarity of the diamond. Most people want to purchase an engagement ring that is as unique and beautiful as the person they plan on giving it to. While the defects and imperfections that are found in most diamonds are not noticeable to the naked eye, the grading of a diamond allows the everyday average person to understand the value of the diamond they are considering purchasing. When it comes to diamond clarity there are eight different types of flaws that could be classified within each unique diamond:
- External Diamond Flaws Also known as blemishes, these types of flaws would include cuts, nicks, polishing lines and pits that would be visible on the outside of the diamond. Sometimes these can be polished down or can be cut to remove the flaw from the naked eye.
- Internal Diamond Flaws Also known as inclusions, these flaws can sometimes be serious or minor depending on the way that the light will interpret the flaw when reflected. What matters the most is that internal flaws can greatly depreciate the value of the diamond.
- Cleavage and Feathering Also known as the cracks that are found inside the diamond, cleaving would not have feathers which will affect the overall strength of a diamond. If the crack does have feathering then the diamond is not compromised in strength unless it has reached the outside of the stone.
- Pinpoint Inclusions Small, tiny crystals that form within the diamond are known as pinpoint inclusions. If formed in clusters they could cause a clouding effect inside the diamond and affect the way the diamond will sparkle.
- Grain Lines Irregular lines that form within diamond which could be clear, coloured or white. Clear lines will not affect the grade of the diamond.
- Bearding After a diamond is cut there might be occasions where small lines would appear around the girdle of the stone. This would be called bearding. These lines can be polished or the diamond could be re-cut so they are removed.
- Laser treated Laser treatment could improve the diamond clarity. This would affect the grade of the stone and can sometimes be seen by the naked eye in the form of a jet stream or light trail.
- Crystal and Mineral Inclusions Diamonds sometimes have crystals that will be embedded within them which for some people ads character to the diamond. Not all will negatively affect the pricing of diamond jewellery, so it will depend on what imperfections you find, the diamond itself can still have incredible value.