Having your wedding rings engraved
Many couples choose to have their wedding rings engraved. This old practice ensures your rings will be unique and forever meaningful. You may wish to engrave something classic and timeless, or choose something personal and unusual. Whatever you choose, you can be sure that your rings will be only yours – and yours alone.
Requesting engravings is easy! The simplest way is to ask your jeweller upon order, but you can also bring the rings in later. Engraving is done either by hand or machine. If you are having the gemstone engraved, it is done by laser.
One of the most unusual engravings for an engagement ring is on the ring given to Halle Berry by Oliver Martinez. The emerald ring contained hidden Phoenician codes to tell the couple’s love story.
The Gemological Institute of America, and other gemstone specialist agencies, can use a laser to inscribe a microscopic message or image into the gemstone. This is especially romantic as it can only be seen with a microscope, so it will truly be your secret inscription. This option is not only romantic, but also provides you with a sure way to find your ring if it is ever lost or stolen as it has a one-of-a-kind ‘birthmark’.
A popular trend that has recently emerged is to engrave each other’s fingerprints into your rings. This is a fun way to show each other how much you care.
Popular traditional inscriptions
If you think you want to go down a more classic route, here is a list of romantic ideas to get you started.
- ‘I love you’
- ‘To my soul mate’
- ‘Our love is eternal’
- ‘You have my heart’
- ‘I’m always with you’
- ‘All my love’
- Quotes from Shakespeare or the Bible
- Quotes from your favourite books
- Initials are a classic way to inscribe your rings. For example: ‘A.B. to C.D. on June 26, or A&C forever’ (using first initials)
- A message that requires both bands, for example: ‘To infinity…’ (band one) … and ‘beyond’ (band two).
- Dates are timeless and very popular. The date of your wedding, the day you met, or the date of your first kiss are just three possibilities.
- Inscribing your personal nicknames for each other is simple and sweet